Thursday, November 13, 2014

Promethea

1. Are there any prominent symbols?  If so what are they and how are they used?

You see a heavy usage of egyptian and greek symbols in this book, the main character Promethea uses a Caduceus, a symbol for medicine as a weapon against her enemies.  In the main villains chamber he has a huge pentagram decked out on the bottom of his floor in his room with his henchmen, with candles on so he's fully prepared to cast a spell.  There's a large usage of egyptian gods as characters such as the owl or the conjoined Prometheans with one that looks very similiar to Ra that the main character sees in different visions.

2.  Discuss elements of the story you were able to connect with.

I'm very much interested in the influence behind the choice in theme for the visuals. Seeing the ancient Egyptian and Greek being fused with futurist elements in this fashion is not something regularly done.  It's a very peculiar mix of science fiction and mythology that leaves me wondering where Alan Moore is going to take us.  I can't say I directly connect with anything in this story but it's very intriguing.

3.  What would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use?
What changes would you make?

This would probably work decently as a 2D animation mini-series, I wouldn't want to get rid of the gore/ R-rating potential of the comic so I would push it towards Adult Swim.  I think I would flesh out more of the main characters back story earlier on instead of dropping her into some interview with some (seemingly) random woman.  This story is very much more tailored for a comic and I'm not sure if there's another medium I would try to immediately shift it towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment